Ban These 5 Hidden Toxins from Your Home NOW!

By Lee Bellinger / December 26, 2013

Dying Slowly
in a Chemical Soup

Have you ever noticed how many different chemicals are labeled with such assurances as “safe at low levels” or similar assertions?

What they don’t tell you is the cumulative effect over a lifetime to all the toxins that are added to your food, your cleaning products, even your carpeting and your cookware. If you’re ingesting, absorbing, or inhaling small amounts of 50 different toxins every day, is that still safe?

The government stamp of approval for low exposure to individual chemicals doesn’t account for the chemical soup we’re living in or how a little exposure to a lot of different toxins adds up to affect your energy levels, hormone function, aging, and more. We want to be at our best, to wake up every day feeling refreshed, have energy throughout the day, enjoy a good mood and a strong libido, and put ourselves at lower risk of the diseases and signs of aging. And that’s what we want for you, too.

So it’s smart to reduce or eliminate your exposure to toxins… even at low levels that manufacturers and their government cronies have deemed safe.

5 Ways Toxins Are Sneaking
into Your Home Right Now

Toxins enter your home through unexpected, innocent-looking means. After all, what could more harmless than a pleasant-smelling dryer sheet or the outdoor deck you built last season? But take a look… you might be surprised at how often you expose yourself to “safe” levels of harmful toxins.

Dryer Sheets: Using scented dryer sheets doesn’t just add a sweet smell to your laundry. It also adds benzyl acetate and terpenes to your clothing and to the air in your home. When agents are absorbed by your laundry, they come in contact with your skin and may be absorbed into your body. If you don’t have sensitive skin, you probably don’t even notice. But these substances have also been linked to nasal and respiratory irritation. They can also cause cellular damage. In high doses, they may contribute to some cancers. We’re not sticking around to find out how high the risk is for a product that we can easily eliminate from our lives.

Solution: Instead of using chemical-laden dryer sheets, you can mix up a blend of essential oils that you like (lavender is our favorite). Add a few drops to water and use a spray bottle to mist your clothes and linens with the blend. Also, to cut down on static, try using dryer balls instead of dryer sheets.

Mold: Anywhere damp things sit is at risk of developing mold colonies. You probably know to watch for mold growth in your bathroom, but your mud room, laundry room, and kitchen also are potential mold havens. Mold can make allergy symptoms worse, it can aggravate asthma, and it can put you at risk for respiratory infections.

Solution: This one is easy. Dry thing off. Shake excess water off of shoes and coats before placing them in the mud room or closet. Clean up water splashes and spills in the kitchen. Don’t let damp laundry sit in the washer. Run the fan in your bathroom during and after showers. If you don’t have a fan in your laundry room, install one. Use portable fans as needed in damp areas; it may be a good idea to run a small fan constantly in damp basements.

Pressure-treated wood: Most wood that people use to build decks and other outdoor features is pressure treated. The chemicals used to make the wood resistant to insects and weathering can be toxic. Specifically, many of them may contribute to the development of cancer.

Solution: Choose lumber that’s been treated with a borate-based preservative, rather than alkaline copper quat or copper azole. The borate preservative is much less toxic. Composite materials are also available; inquire at your favorite home center.

Carpets: As one of the most chemically treated things in your home, your wall-to-wall carpeting may be giving off a multitude of toxic vapors. Flame-retardants, stain-resisters and more are used to make carpets stand up to a lot of abuse. But carpet chemicals contribute to a host of health problems from eye issues to cancer. And today’s air-tight, energy efficient houses seal those toxins inside your home.

Solution: Instead of wall-to-wall carpet, consider installing wood or tile flooring. They’re easier to keep clean and don’t come with all the chemicals. Add throw rugs for softer surfaces where you want them. If you do install new carpeting, ventilate your home thoroughly after installation.

Teflon: Non-stick pans are a really, really bad idea. They are known and proven to be toxic. One well-known condition is “Teflon flu” – headaches, fatigue, nausea caused by the vapors released when Teflon pan is exposed to heat. Those same vapors may also disrupt your hormone production and regulation, even if they don’t make you feel sick. It’s well known that Teflon vapors are also highly toxic to pet birds.

Solution: A well-seasoned cast iron pan can do just about anything a nonstick pan can do in my experience. A stainless pan is great if you just use a little cooking spray. If you must use Teflon, never heat the pan while it’s empty. That’s when the vapors are at their worst. We’re not obsessed with avoiding every toxin that comes your way. You’d have dress yourself in bubble wrap to achieve that. But giving some thought to ways you can reduce your exposure is a healthy step… especially when you consider just how many chemicals you’re exposed to every day.


FREE Report. How to survive a major power outage

x